I went up to Eilean Donan Castle last week and shot some photos and videos of it . The weather was changeable , which is typical for the weather in Scotland nowadays . It was a mixture of sunshine and cloud .
Eilean Donan is Gaelic for Island of Donan , a 12th century religious figure .Eilean Donan was Clan
MacKenzie’s most important stronghold from the 13th Century
until it was destroyed in 1719. Robert the Bruce was given
refuge in Eilean Donan Castle by John MacKenzie, Second of
Kintail when he was being hunted by the English at the
beginning of the fourteenth century. The MacRae Clan who settled in the area came from the
Beauly Firth where they had protected the Clan
Fraser.They acted as bodyguards to the MacKenzie
chiefs. Although there was a number of disputes,
the MacKenzies held Eilean Donan right up until
until the 16th century ,
Contact Private tours Edinburgh online or by phone on +447305294773 .
- Whisky tours
- Outlander tours featuring a visit to Lallybroch , Jamie Fraser‘s ancestral home , just 30 minutes from Edinburgh
- Falkirk tours including the amazing Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel
- Doune Castle tours , Doune featured in Monty Python , Game of Thrones , the Outlaw King and Outlander
- Game of Thrones tours now twice daily at 10 am and 1.30 pm
- Drummond Castle tours , visit Drummond Castle Gardens on our four ancient Scottish castles tour
Did you know ?
Outlander Season 5 premieres on February 16, 2020 on Starz. Additionally, the series has already been renewed for a sixth season.