Edinburgh Castle remains the most popular visitor attraction in Scotland according to figures released by Historic Scotland .Edinburgh Castle had more than 580,000 visits in the four months to the end of August, a 7% annual rise. Stirling Castle was the second most popular of Historic Scotland’s sites – with over 228,000 people over the same four months. The top 10 attractions also included Skara Brae, Iona Abbey and Fort William. All saw a rise in visitors over the year before.The main reasons for the increase are the Year of Homecoming and the fact that the weak pound made Scotland an attractive holiday destination for Europeans.
Kari Coghill of Historic Scotland said: “Our attractions enjoyed a good summer right across the country. The 2009 Year of Homecoming campaign was clearly a major help as it brought the whole of our tourism industry together to focus on the common goal of attracting visitors by promoting all that’s best about Scotland.
At the same time we obviously benefited from the fact that a weak pound made Scotland an attractive destination for Europeans. But we have also been doing a huge amount to market all that Historic Scotland has to offer, and the good value it provides, and that has seen our membership numbers pass 100,000 for the first time.” Historic Scotland is one of 2 main agencies in charge of Scotland’s castles , the other one being the National Trust for Scotland. more Edinburgh Castle pictures
Contact Private tours Edinburgh online or by phone on +447305294773 .
- Whisky tours
- Outlander tours featuring a visit to Lallybroch , Jamie Fraser‘s ancestral home , just 30 minutes from Edinburgh
- Falkirk tours including the amazing Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel
- Doune Castle tours , Doune featured in Monty Python , Game of Thrones , the Outlaw King and Outlander
- Game of Thrones tours now twice daily at 10 am and 1.30 pm
- Drummond Castle tours , visit Drummond Castle Gardens on our four ancient Scottish castles tour
Did you know ?
Outlander Season 5 premieres on February 16, 2020 on Starz. Additionally, the series has already been renewed for a sixth season.