Historic Scotland’s flagship attraction Edinburgh Castle is celebrating after welcoming its one millionth visitor through the door this year. No , they haven’t had one million visitors since January 1 . This is their financial year which ends in March .
Edinburgh Castle attracts 1.2 million visitors per year and despite the credit crunch the castle continues to attract visitors from around the world.
A £2.7 million visitor reception project was completed last year to improve visitor services and ensure visitors continue to enjoy world class service at this attraction.
Edinburgh Castle now has its own dedicated website.New markets have also been opening up – reflected by the recent introduction of souvenir guide books to the castle in Russian and Chinese.The one millionth visitors to the castle were couple, Britta Springstrow and Rene Woffeh from Germany.
Britta said they were delighted to be chosen, adding: “Edinburgh is such a beautiful place and the castle is stunning. It was really exciting to be chosen as the millionth visitor today as we were certainly not expecting it.”
Barbara Smith, Executive Manager at Edinburgh Castle, said: “The arrival of the millionth visitor is always a milestone. This year, it is particularly pleasing in the economic climate.
“The combination of iconic status, memorable image, unique treasures and a world class welcome make this a truly must-see attraction.”
There is still time to catch the special off-peak seasonal admission charges at the castle until the 28 February 2009 with adult tickets under £10.
The castle’s top 10 highlights
1. The Crown Room and the Stone of Destiny – where the nations treasures are kept.
2. The Great Hall – which holds a fabulous display of arms and armour and the ‘key’ to the
3. Royal Palace – rooms created in 1617 in honour of James VI.
4. St Margaret’s Chapel – the oldest building in Edinburgh, built to commemorate the mother
of David 1.
5. The Prisons of War – an atmospheric recreation of the life of prisoners at the end of the
6. Mons Meg – one of Europe’s oldest siege guns that fired stones weighing 150kg over
7. The One O’Clock Gun – the famous time signal has been fired almost daily since 1861.
8. The Scottish National War Memorial – shrine to those who gave their lives in conflicts from World War 1 onwards.
9. A castle wedding . Wedding receptions can now be held in the castle
10. Panoramic views – across the capital, over the Firth of Forth and into Fife, which can be enjoyed from the castle’s walls.
Contact Private tours Edinburgh online or by phone on +447305294773 .
- Whisky tours
- Outlander tours featuring a visit to Lallybroch , Jamie Fraser‘s ancestral home , just 30 minutes from Edinburgh
- Falkirk tours including the amazing Kelpies and the Falkirk Wheel
- Doune Castle tours , Doune featured in Monty Python , Game of Thrones , the Outlaw King and Outlander
- Game of Thrones tours now twice daily at 10 am and 1.30 pm
- Drummond Castle tours , visit Drummond Castle Gardens on our four ancient Scottish castles tour
Did you know ?
Outlander Season 5 premieres on February 16, 2020 on Starz. Additionally, the series has already been renewed for a sixth season.